Together the Volunteers who came on the March 2011 tour accomplished the following:
- Developed a plan for the optimal plumbing needs at the new building site for the Shelter.
- Volunteers assisted in the planting of 250 fruit trees.
- Purchased an ‘inverter’ – a storage bank for power so that the children can have lights and fans when there is a power cut – a very common occurrence.
- Purchased a generator for the new building site to provide power for the building needs.
- Volunteer nurse set up and purchased a first aid kit for the Shelter.
- Purchased and distributed $100 worth of balls, coloured pens, books and crayons for the 74 children.
- Volunteer web designer built a website for the Shelter to assist with fund raising and sponsorship of the children. http://shikshangram.com.
- A volunteer sponsored a child at the shelter.
- Paid school fees for 2 months for 2 children in the Geeta Nagar slum.
We wish to thank all our wonderful volunteers –
Paul Eglinton, Bronwyn Key, Georgie Wallis as well as our friends in Australia – Julia Hayes, of the Swanbourne Business Centre, Pam Leunig, Alyson (Sva) Riddell for their generous contribution.